Rogier van der Weyden

Rogier van der Weyden

20.09.2009 - 06.12.2009

Master of Passions

Rogier van der Weyden. The Master of Passions is a prestigious exhibition on one of the greatest Flemish Primitives, boasting numerous exclusive highlights. There are more than 100 exhibited works – all in mint condition – from 58 renowned collections in Europe and North-America.

Rogier van der Weyden and Jan Van Eyck were the two most important fifteenth century painters of the Southern Low Countries. Van der Weyden was the unrivalled master of passion and subdued emotion – for example, the sorrow of Mary and John at the foot of the cross, the deep concentration of the reading Mary Magdalene or the self-confident expression on the face of Charles the Bold, the mighty Duke of Burgundy. This exhibition juxtaposes original works by Rogier van der Weyden and works by his associates and contemporaries.

Exclusive highlights

Artworks that were dispersed over the centuries are being presented as an ensemble once more;

 

Mint condition

Several masterpieces have been meticulously conserved and restored for the exhibition. Amongst these are:
 

The absolute masterpiece of the exhibition. The thorough conservation and restoration work began in 2006.

Collection: Royal Museum of Fine Arts, Antwerp. 
Restoration: Dr. Griet Steyaert. 
Where: The restoration is being conducted at the Royal Museum of Fine Arts, Antwerp and can be observed by the general public. 
Duration: 3 years (2006-2009). 
Funding: InBev-Baillet Latour Fund.

 

The oldest copy of Van der Weyden’s famous Deposition. He painted the work for the chapel of Our Lady of Ginderbuiten in Leuven, which has since been destroyed. The painting is currently housed in the Prado (Madrid). In 1443, Willem Edelheere commissioned an unknown artist to copy the Deposition for his chapel in Saint Peter’s Church.
 
Collection: M Leuven. 
Restoration: Dr. Hélène Dubois. 
Where: Royal Institute for Cultural Heritage, Brussels. 
Duration: 1.5 years (2008-2009). 
Funding: City of Leuven and Flemish Community.

 

Two life-sized statues of the Angel Gabriel and Mary, scuplted Jean Declemer (active after c. 1428 to 1459). The sculptor was working in Tournai when the young Van der Weyden began his career as a painter there. The restoration revealed traces of the original polychrome, which appears to be the work of Robert Campin (c. 1375-1444), Rogier van der Weyden’s master. It is an important discovery that reveals the painter’s network and illustrates the interaction between painting and sculpture in the 15th century.

Collection: Cathedral of Our Lady, Tournai. 
Restoration: Lieselotte Hoornaert and Camille De Clercq. 
Where: Royal Institute for Cultural Heritage, Brussels. 
Funding: InBev-Baillet Latour Fund.

 

Partner: Illuminare. Studiecentrum Vlaamse Miniaturisten (KU Leuven)